Cultural Artifacts for Classroom Learning
Discovery Chests, representing different world cultures, are a component of the JOURNEY Arts in Education Program. Educators, high school clubs and PTA for grades K-12 are encouraged to borrow the chests for their classrooms, club meetings, school fairs and fundraisers. Each chest contains 20-30 cultural artifacts such as household goods, artworks, cultural texts and books, music, clothing and traditional items.
Discovery Chests are FREE of charge including transporting of chests, to school districts partnering in the JOURNEY Arts in Education program. Schools or other groups that are NOT in the JOURNEY program, may borrow the chests for a fee of $50 per chest, not including delivery.
Virtual Option for Discovery Chest Explorations
Each Discovery Chest is now available as a google slides presentation with pictures and descriptions of each artifact, as well as some links for more information online. The slides can also be used along with the physical Discovery Chests or on their own.
JOURNEY partner school teachers can request the link to the google slides. These presentations can be uploaded to sites like Kahoot, Quizlet and Pear Deck for Google Slides Add-on for interactive learning experiences.
For more information and to request a link to one of the 10 Discovery Chest Options listed below, contact – firstname.lastname@example.org. Or use the button below to access the online request form.
Discovery Chest Options:
Japanese Tea Ceremony
Discovery Chests interactions may include:
- Finding the symbolism of the decorated objects
- Interpreting the symbolism by creating decorative objects
- Illustrating cultural diversity within their classroom, school, community, state & country
- Comparing stories from the culture with those from the student’s own background
- Deepening their overall understanding of the culture
- Identifying traditions, music, food etc that have become part of current American culture
- Incorporating cultural knowledge into various areas of social studies curriculum
If you’ve borrowed a Discovery Chest recently, please let us know what you thought!
2022-2023 JOURNEY PARTNER SCHOOL DISTRICTS INCLUDE:
- Cold Spring Harbor CSD
- Commack UFSD
- Harborfields CSD
- Huntington UFSD
- Kings Park CSD
- Northport-East Northport UFSD
- Plainview-Old Bethpage CSD
- South Huntington UFSD
For questions, please contact:
Arts in Education Coordinator, Sueey Gutierrez at email@example.com 631-271-8423 X114