Arts in Education Program
JOURNEY Arts in Education Program was established in 1985 by Chairperson Sandy Chapin, local area educators and in partnership with district administrators. The K-12 program is administered through the Huntington Arts Council’s Arts in Education Department with the help of district liaisons.
The mission of JOURNEY is to integrate cultural arts into classroom curriculum encouraging an individualized experience and appreciation of cultural diversity through the arts.
School districts partner with the JOURNEY program for an all-inclusive, arts-educational, interactive resource. The main components of the program are:
- CTLE Cultural Arts Workshops
- Discovery Lending Chests
- High Arts Showcase
- Visiting Artists
This program is made possible with support from the Long Island Community Foundation.
TEACHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SERIES
- Professional development opportunities to expand knowledge and gain valuable teaching ideas & techniques
- NYS Certified Sponsor for continuing teacher and leader education (CTLE)
- 15 CTLE hours offered every fall
- 10 different cultures available to explore
- Chests contain cultural artifacts, artworks, musical and writing instruments, texts & media
- Teacher manual and artifact description cards included
CULTURAL ARTS PROGRAMS
- Workshops, performances & assemblies
- Dance, Music, Theater (including storytelling), & Visual Arts
- Variety of cultures and culturally responsive programs included in the directory of preapproved programs
EXHIBITION / PERFORMANCE
- JOURNEY partner school students present their talents in a gallery setting
- Students learn firsthand about entering a show; from submitting entries and writing a bio and/or artist statement to promotion and interaction with the arts community.
2021-2022 JOURNEY PARTNER SCHOOL DISTRICTS INCLUDE:
- Cold Spring Harbor CSD
- Commack UFSD
- Harborfields CSD
- Huntington UFSD
- Kings Park CSD
- Northport-East Northport UFSD
- Plainview-Old Bethpage CSD
- South Huntington UFSD