Take a Journey right in your classroom!
The Huntington Arts Council loans out Discovery Chests representing seven different world cultures as a component of the Journey Program.
Educators, high school clubs and PTA groups are encouraged to borrow the chests for their classrooms, club meetings, school fairs and fundraisers. There are over 30 cultural artifacts in each bin that include items from household goods, artworks, cultural texts and books, clothing and traditional items.
Discovery Chest Cultures:
To see a sample of artifacts from each culture of Discovery Chest, click the button below:
The Discovery Chests are great for Core Curriculum ties and our program follows NYS learning standards. Teachers of pre-K all the way through high school may borrow the chests.
Students in Elementary grades from Pre-K to 4th Grade will be able to:
- Discover and describe the use of the object.
- Identify differences between objects.
- Find the symbolism of the decorated objects. Interpret the symbolism by creating decorative objects.
- Research the material of the object to determine its origin.
Students in Intermediate grades from 5th to 8th Grade will also be able to:
- Illustrate cultural diversity within their classroom, school, community, state & country.
- Compare stories from the culture with those from the student’s own background.
- Define the objects, their purpose and origin.
- Deepen their overall understanding of the culture.
- Identify traditions, music, food etc that have become part of current American culture.
Students in High School grades 9th to 11th Grade will also be able to:
- Incorporate the cultural knowledge into the various areas of their social studies curriculum.
DISCOVERY CHESTS are available FREE of charge to schools in the Journey program.
2017-2018 Journey Partner School Districts:
Commack, Harborfields, Huntington, Northport/East Northport, Plainview/Old Bethpage and South Huntington.
There is a borrowing fee of $50/$75 for a 2 week loan for schools that are NOT in the Journey program. The borrowing period is extendable upon availability.
If you’ve borrowed a Discovery Chest recently, please let us know what you thought!
For questions email the Gina Van Bell at email@example.com
NEW! Vote for Your Next Discovery Chest Culture!
The vote has ended as of October 31st! Check back soon to find out about the next chest in production! Thank you to all the teachers and administrators that participated and submitted a vote!
About the Vote: Teachers and school administrators had the choice to vote for the next world culture they would like to see developed as a Discovery Chest.