Take a Journey right in your classroom!
The Journey program offers 7 cultural artifact chests to be used in the classroom. Students can touch the items, research the items in our manual and investigate people and cultures right in the classroom. Great for Core Curriculum ties and our program follows NYS learning standards.
Cultures: Africa, China, Ancient Egypt, Greece, India, Latin American and Native America.
Students in Elementary grades from Pre-K to 4th Grade will be able to:
- Discover and describe the use of the object.
- Identify differences between objects.
- Find the symbolism of the decorated objects. Interpret the symbolism by creating decorative objects.
- Research the material of the object to determine its origin.
Students in Intermediate grades from 5th to 8th Grade will also be able to:
- Compare stories from the culture with those from the student’s own background.
- Define the objects, their purpose and origin.
- Deepen their overall understanding of the culture.
- Identify traditions, music, food etc that have become part of current American culture.
Students in High School grades 9th to 11th Grade will also be able to:
- Incorporate the cultural knowledge into the various areas of their social studies curriculum.
DISCOVERY CHESTS are available FREE of charge to all teachers in the following partner school districts: Cold Spring Harbor, Commack, Harborfields, Huntington, Northport/East Northport, Plainview/Old Bethpage and South Huntington
There is a borrowing fee of $50/$75 for a 2 week loan for schools that are NOT in the Journey program. The borrowing period is extendable upon availability.