DISCOVERY LENDING CHESTS
Discovery Chests Loans, representing different world cultures, are a component of the JOURNEY Arts in Education Program.
Educators, high school clubs, PTA groups and summer schools are encouraged to borrow the chests for their classrooms, club meetings, school fairs and fundraisers. There are over 30 cultural artifacts in each bin that include items from household goods, artworks, cultural texts and books, clothing and traditional items.
Discovery Chest Options:
We also have “mini” chests still in development available with just artifacts and description cards for Russia and Japanese Tea Ceremony.
Borrowing a Chest:
- Discovery Chests are available FREE of charge including transporting of chests, to school districts partnering in the JOURNEY Arts in Education program.
- For schools that are NOT in the JOURNEY program, there is a $50 Loan fee per chest plus $50 for delivery and pick up, if required, within a 15 mile radius from the Huntington Arts Council.
- The borrowing period is extendable dependent upon availability.
- Open to all grades K-12
- If you would like to view the artifact description cards with pictures and descriptions of each artifact, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Discovery Chests interactions may include:
- Finding the symbolism of the decorated objects
- Interpreting the symbolism by creating decorative objects
- Illustrating cultural diversity within their classroom, school, community, state & country
- Comparing stories from the culture with those from the student’s own background
- Deepening their overall understanding of the culture
- Identifying traditions, music, food etc that have become part of current American culture
- Incorporating cultural knowledge into various areas of social studies curriculum
If you’ve borrowed a Discovery Chest recently, please let us know what you thought!
For questions, please contact:
Regina Van Bell
Arts in Education Coordinator
631-271-8423 x 14