7 World Cultures
DISCOVERY LENDING CHESTS
Discovery Chests Loans, representing seven different world cultures, are a component of the JOURNEY Arts in Education Program.
Educators, high school clubs, PTA groups and summer schools are encouraged to borrow the chests for their classrooms, club meetings, school fairs and fundraisers. There are over 30 cultural artifacts in each bin that include items from household goods, artworks, cultural texts and books, clothing and traditional items.
Borrowing a Chest:
- Discovery Chest are available FREE of charge including transporting of chests, to school districts partnering in the JOURNEY Arts in Education program.
- There is a borrowing fee of $50/$75 for a 2 week loan for schools that are NOT in the JOURNEY program.
- The borrowing period is extendable upon availability.
- Open to all grades
Discovery Chest Options:
- Ancient Egypt
- Latin America
- Native America
- Music Instruments Only – mainly Africa and Latin America
- Still Life Artifacts for Art Classes – various cultures
- Other – Tell us what you are looking for and we may be able to make a chest to suit your needs!
Discovery Chests interactions may include:
- Finding the symbolism of the decorated objects
- Interpreting the symbolism by creating decorative objects
- Illustrating cultural diversity within their classroom, school, community, state & country
- Comparing stories from the culture with those from the student’s own background
- Deepening their overall understanding of the culture
- Identifying traditions, music, food etc that have become part of current American culture
- Incorporating cultural knowledge into various areas of social studies curriculum
If you’ve borrowed a Discovery Chest recently, please let us know what you thought!
For questions, please contact:
Arts in Education Coordinator