Arts in Education
JOURNEY was established in 1985 by Chairperson Sandy Chapin, local area educators and in partnership with district administrators.
JOURNEY integrates cultural arts into classroom curriculum encouraging an individualized experience and appreciation of cultural diversity through the arts.
- Established in 1985, JOURNEY is a multi-component arts in education program available to school districts providing resources for learning about world cultures through arts and arts experiences.
- The program provides an all inclusive, arts educational, inquiry based, interactive resource.
- JOURNEY enhances learning for students in kindergarten through 12th grade.
- The program is administered through the Huntington Arts Council’s Arts in Education Department with the help of district liaisons.
- Opportunities to expand knowledge and gain valuable teaching ideas & techniques
- Led by indigenous artists, scholars and educators from various nations
- 15 hours of staff development offered
- NYS Ceritifed for continuing teacher and leader education (CTLE)
7 WORLD CULTURES
- Africa, Ancient Egypt, China, Greece, India, Latin America & Native America
- Cultural artifacts, artworks, musical and writing instruments, texts & media
- Supports Social Studies, Art, Languages, clubs, inquiry based learning, special events, school fairs
- Teacher manual includes descriptions, information and lessons
- Workshops, performances & assemblies
- Dance, theater, visual arts & music
- Directory provides list of available artists
- Variety of cultures repersented
To view Journey-approved programs and artists, click on the following link:
EXHIBITION / PERFORMANCE
- JOURNEY program high school junior and senior art exhibit and performance night in the Huntington Arts Council Main Street Gallery
- Great addition to student portfolios
- No entry fee for participation
- Reduced fees for future entries into Huntington Arts Council exhibitions
2019-2020 JOURNEY PARTNER SCHOOL DISTRICTS INCLUDE:
- Cold Spring Harbor CSD
- Commack UFSD
- Harborfields CSD
- Huntington UFSD
- Kings Park CSD
- Northport-East Northport UFSD
- Plainview-Old Bethpage CSD
- South Huntington UFSD
Huntington Arts Council JOURNEY Arts in Education program participates in Eastern Suffolk BOCES and Nassau BOCES.
For questions, please contact:
Arts in Education Coordinator
October 17, 2012 teacher workshop with Rudy Crichlow from Casplash Band